Saturday, July 14, 2012

weeks 2 & 3...wait no almost 7...

some important things I've gathered from camp so far:

1. most of it is about confidence. if I am unsure, uneasy, or at all questioning my ability to lead / impart knowledge / create a happy time for all...they'll know it and we'll all suffer.  

2. some projects just don't work out...and that's all right.  sending home pretty artwork is a nice thing to do, but when it comes down to it I believe it's about the experience (so make it good.  when the kids are frustrated and nothing is working as it should, this is when it's most important to lead by staying calm, listening, and taking note not to do that project again!)

3. planning is as difficult as you make it.  aka, don't wait until the last minute...but also catch yourself when planning activities in the mindset of just filling time.  it's easy to forget that the time I have with the kids is precious, so the artists and projects and activities that I share with them should have meaning and importance!  which leads to...

4.  get inspired!  just like you can not make art without looking at art, you can not teach art without being inspired by things that you see.  I have once again dropped the ball on remembering to extensively use my eyes, but luckily it's an easy thing to resume.  with that, here's what I'm getting excited for and inspired by and thinking of sharing for camp next week...

 Sycamore leaves/stitched together with stalks/hung from a tree, Pollok Park, Glasgow (1986)
Andy Goldsworthy 

Pebbles around a hole, Kinagashima-Cho, Japan (1987)
Andy Goldsworthy

Early morning calm, Knotweed stalks, pushed into lake bottom, 
made complete by their own reflections (1988)
Andy Goldsworthy