Monday, January 23, 2012

and good in everything

"Even till I shirink with cold, I smile, and say
'This is no flattery.  These are counsellors
That feelingly persuade me what I am.'
Sweet are the uses of adversity
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything."
-Shakespeare
from As You Like It

I led two birthday parties Saturday, the first of about seven girls who were calm, quiet, kind.  The second group of girls was a bit larger, a tad younger, and running about the studio and squealing as giddy pre-teen girls tend to do.  Although a touch overwhelmed, I decided to treat this second group exactly as I did the first.  I spoke softly, moved carefully, and treated them with the upmost sincerity and politeness that I was so impressed to be shown towards me by the first group.

Much to my surprise, after less than ten minutes together in the party room I realized that all these happy smily girly girls were acting as calm and sweet as the other party.  I'm well aware that my attitude was not the end all cause of this...but I'd like to think it was at least a factor.  I can think of several people in my life who have a very distinctive effect on my attitude and actions when I'm in their presence...some who calm me, some who motivate me, some who even inspire.  It was a good reminder that my energy is not confined to my own body and affects more than just my own feelings.  You can take that as caution, you can take that as a tool.  

The people, the places, the experiences, the demands...all of this is just an opportunity to learn.  To improve myself, to help someone else create the space in their own life for happiness.

Namaste: the very highest good in me recognizes and honors the very highest and best in you